[CAUT] curious...

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 29 12:15:05 MST 2011

Hi Ron,

We both basically have the same type of weather.  With Calvin College,
generally in August, the RH is 65% +.  September it's in the lower 60% to
mid 55% RH range.  By November it's usually at least around 30's % RH and by
the first of Dec it's usually around 25% RH or less.  By the end of
December, it is often in the 18 % RH range here.

During this whole process of weather changes and RH changes, especially this
year, going from August through December, the piano is drying continually,
little by little consequently also going flatter, little by little.  My RH
went up this month too in some of the rooms to as much as 35 %.  While in
other rooms, it was only at 17 or 18% RH.  All of the pianos regardless were
still flat.  Some flatter than others but, nonetheless, they were still all
flat.

I believe because of the constant drying since August and probability that
your December was likely similar to mine with a lower RH toward the end of
the month, that the piano will not go up in a short amount of time but
instead will continue to go flatter because of a shrinking sound board (and
other reasons) since September or so.  It's been drying out for months
already whereas, the RH has only gone up briefly.  It will go back down
again as the temp outside also goes down and the heat in our buildings
continues to stay on for longer periods of time.

At least, that's my theory!

Jer