[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Mar 1 11:30:39 MST 2011

I’m not intentionally picking on you—I take issue with a lot of what a lot of people write I just usually don’t bother to respond. Here I am wondering why you think it would be ridiculous to use hammers with weights approximating the originals. That’s a pretty strong statement and I figure you must have a good reason for making it. I’d like to learn more about what that reason might be.

Were I putting hammers on this piano their numbers across the scale would be pretty close to the “before” set. But I was looking at the numbers for the upper tenor and treble hammers in particular. More mass in upper end hammers tends to create more “hammer knock” and less musical tone. Lower down hammer knock is a non-issue and other factors take over; the softer hammers I prefer must have less mass or they can sound some dull; get some of the mass out and the piano comes alive. But there is some leeway. Up in the high tenor and treble, however, hammer mass is much more critical and excessive mass is a real negative. Those hammers need to be able to get away from the strings fast; heavier hammers can’t do that.

I recently looked at a still-under-warranty 7’ grand (approximately) that was then on its second set of factory hammers. In both cases—first the originals, and now the replacements—the hammers in the upper tenor and treble were more massive than they should have been. The voice in the upper third of the compass is “knocky” and both harsh and dull at the same time. (Pretty much like the voice of the originals.) While some folks might want the harsh, distorted sound coming from these hammers and this piano the owner does not.

The voicers (both factory and local) were in the process of “shaping” them and “juicing them up.” This, of course, has been making the problem worse, not better. The upper end hammers are too heavy. And now, with their increasingly blunt shape and the added lacquer they don’t have much bounce left in them; they are not getting away from the strings fast enough. Lacquering them more—even saturating them with the stuff!—will not alter this. The only solution is to get some of the mass out of them and give them back the resiliency that they need to do their jobs. My recommendation was (is) to replace the hammers with something other than those supplied by the factory but that’s an idea that will never fly. So the cycle will repeat itself until the owner gets fed up with the piano and replaces it with another brand. Too bad, it’s fundamentally a good piano.

Anyway, there are good reasons why those early hammers worked so well. One of these being that there was not a lot of mass involved.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue