[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 19:06:32 MST 2011

FWIW those original hammers at 8.5 and 3 grams respectively produce strike weights around 10.3 grams for note 1 and 4.6 grams for note 88.  On the Stanwood chart that puts them at about the 33rd percentile at both ends.  Light but not excessively light.  The entire range of strike weights on his charts for note #1 are from  8 – 14.8 grams, and for note #88 from 3.5 – 6.9 grams.  So 10.3 and 4.6 falls at the lower end but not the lowest.  My experience is similar to Del’s in that the lighter hammers, especially without excessive felt over the molding in the treble, produces a much greater clarity and dynamic range.  A good example of this are those 60’s and 70’s pianos where the Steinway hammer really ratcheted up quite a bit in terms of weight.  Those hammers deliver a lot of “whump” but not a lot of tonal clarity or dynamic range.  Swap those things out for a lightweight hammer and the pianos can really come alive with more clarity and less noise—helps with the lousy geometry of those vintages as well.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com