[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 08:10:23 MST 2011

I was using the Renner shank as the model which is usually 1.8 grams for the untapered and about 1.6 for the tapered.

The answer of what will sound better is always a question but in this case the issue being discussed was mostly about the treble section and especially the higher treble.  I think in the tenor and bass there’s more forgiveness.

Belly stiffness can vary but how much difference in belly stiffness should there really be in the treble section of different pianos?

As far as hitting the bottom of the Stanwood chart that choice might be more driven by action geometry than tone requirements.  If you have an action that has a ratio upwards of 7.0, you may want to go that light.  However, with aging bellies, as they are less able to handle higher amounts of energy imparted by even the original hammers much less a heavier one, you may very well get the best tonal response by going to that level (plus softer and with less felt over the molding).  Instead, the tendency is to go heavier and harder even if though that’s often a function of availability and not, perhaps, a conscious choice.  That often produces a poor result (as we know).  But a heavier and/or bulkier and softer hammer, while not perhaps creating the strident attack of a harder hammer, may still lack a certain clarity and focus.  In an aging belly the lighter hammer will also create a smaller differential between the attack and the sustain phase and less distortion at attack that that can help the quality of the compromised sustain.

How often do you need to get all the way to the bottom of the chart?  Probably not that often but I was just trying to show that the 10.3 – 4.6 strike weight range is not really that low when compared to the range of samples that Stanwood used to produce that chart (if that’s how he did it).

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com