[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Mar 2 20:06:14 MST 2011

 Yeah, hey Fred
  All good and salient points. I am keenly aware of all of this but on the other side of this coin,...if too much historical broad brush strokes are applied it tends to keep us from looking at the pianos in front of us and clouds how we make choices on how to best analyze its issues and which intelligent choice best serve the pianist and music as a whole.
 After a conversion with Joe Biscellie.Sp? and Ray Negron last year,....they confirmed that the hammers were just fine after the war and really good felt was still available into the 50s & it wasn't a hammer designed as a repository requiring massive doses of anything.
  It was Standard co. felt. & it WAS good stuff! That's a fact.  When that was lost and the new felt came into use is when the issues began. Many things changed , all of which I'm not privy to....and don't care. I mean, who can know for sure.
 Though I take what you say as truly valid, things have changed and evolved, maybe not to our liking, but as my Wife often says,
  "it is what it is". Get over it.
 As many good discussions do, and contrary to popular opinion, I do have an open mind, and do ponder on the stuff that the " brain trust" here pontificates,.... often.  laugh....it was funny!

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com