[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Mar 2 23:06:24 MST 2011

SO you continue to split hairs? Who said anything about pre-conceived opinions. Oh...it was you. I don't know how you do it but many professionals
 start by looking at how the manufacturer designed their action system. Every action rebuild in our shop starts with a key and action ratio analysis.   For example, setting sample regulation on a few notes,  a look at the key leads and weighing the original hammer weights on selected notes gives an important snapshot.  If not them there is no guiding light as to the range of hammer weight the maker intended and then we might as well just be guessing. & then  we're just guessing. SO how is that failing to look at the piano in front of you.
 "Good stuff" as you cynically mock me in terms of felt is  as Joe defined it,... was a sound that required neither extensive needling or much juice.  This along with appropriate pressing  defines a "good" or workable  hammer
   I don't really know you yet, but Frankly, you may be redefining contrarian. Give some one credit for having some experience other than yourself.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom restoration
Ronsen Piano hammers