[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Mar 3 09:01:06 MST 2011

   Hi Fred
  I think e-mail has its limits as to the intent of the writers. No facial expressions, or vocal expression to illustrate the words. I think we have exceeded it for now.  I was on the P-tech list for 10 years I didn't and don't usually cross swords with people easily but when my words are sliced and diced at every turn as they have lately,  I wonder what's going on. Fred, how do you respond when people do that to you? Food for thought.
  As to you opinions on felt and hammers underlined here as to what works where,.... so many will disagree with your opinion especially when you state it like its a fact, and will find it a bit narrow.  How can we, who have had differing experiences,.... not remonstrate with you. Again maybe the limits of e-mail communication and such things better discussed in a face to face forum where all can weigh in.

   You wrote

The softer hammer may make some customers very, very happy, but I don't think it works in the concert hall, or in the professional pianist's studio (or as the serious student's practice instrument). Perhaps there are exceptions, and if so I'd like to hear about them.
 Now you see...I will take this as a very biased opinion, but you stated as a fact,...perhaps based on limited exposure to such outcomes or unwillingness to use the other less densified/less stiff makes and model of hammers out there, And I could be wrong , (Just ask Trix) or,.... perhaps its just personal preference. Which is ok!
So If you really do want to hear about the other side of the coin it can be shared over and over & over.

 Fred,  please know this,....I have read much of what you have written and agree with so much of it. It mirrors much my own expertise as well and I give you the respect due that experience. And also because you are a pianist I listen you guys that have huge ears, as you do, and play waaay better than I.
  But though not a pianist I am tonally driven.
 So I will back of touchiness meter.  May have something to do with my desperately ill Sister back in the hospital yesterday.
 As Tom Cruise said in Far and Away." I don't wish to fight you"
  Peace Out-Off to S.F. and ....a hammer class
  Dale