[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Mar 3 10:16:42 MST 2011

On Mar 3, 2011, at 9:49 AM, David Love wrote:

> I find that with the professional pianists that I work with (and
> there are
> quite a few) brighter is rarely the choice for their practice
> pianos.  Most
> want a pretty round and warm sound, clear and not muffled, but not
> what I
> would consider bright.

	Thanks for the response. I am not really talking about bright overall
as a consistent expectation/desire, but about having an available
tonal spectrum that continues to rise in the top end of the force
applied. The brilliance of a concerto instrument is rarely a good
choice for a practice or studio instrument. But, OTOH, when you go
"too dark" or "muffled," and lack range of color, that is
unacceptable. Clarity and range seems to be the top priority, with
overall color negotiable, as long as the hammer "continues to
rise" (as the Germans put it). I do not see that happening with too
soft a hammer in a modern parameter instrument, in any instance I have
had personal contact with. Practically speaking, I'd rather start a
little hard and needle down than guess wrong on the low side. (Though
I do work with a lot of Steinway hammers with the expectation of
lacquer, and that is another side of the coin - certainly different
from installing soft hammers with the expectation of not lacquering)
	In any case, one thing I would be very interested in is experience
with a concert instrument in a reasonably large hall (200+ seats),
whether there is anyone who has put on soft hammers in that situation
and found that they were accepted by the performers. What I have heard
from colleagues and gathered from my own experience is that invariably
significant hardener has needed to be added to produce acceptable
results.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu