[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Mar 4 12:49:31 MST 2011

On Mar 3, 2011, at 7:40 PM, David Love wrote:

> Understanding how to work with a voice down type of hammer is really
> important.  If you aren't familiar with that style of hammer on a NY
> D and
> simply start crown needling like you do on a lacquered hammer you get
> nowhere fast and it's not a very good nowhere.

	I agree, except that I prefer not to think in terms of voicing down.
Instead, it is a matter of developing potential and range. Yes, you
may lower the top end, but it is more a case of building up the
ability of the hammer to produce a full spectrum. In my experience,
any "hard-pressed" hammer needs a measured and consistent amount of
deep shoulder needling, generally 7 - 9 mm needles, plus a profile of
needling up to the 1 - 2 mm point in the middle of the crown. Then
maybe you do some crown needling as well. Number of strokes determined
by feel and sound. I have long since abandoned the idea of the hammer
you put on and call good enough. There are hammers that sound
acceptable "out of the box," but they can always be improved.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu