[CAUT] New Format--yuck

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 7 10:16:38 MST 2011

David,
Wow!  I was just about to compost the same message when your email popped up.  This new system is so cumbersome...the last thing I want to do is open another program in order to respond to a post to compose it.

At WestPac this past week I sat with Alan Gilreath and Barb Cassaday and we discussed this whole concept.  They are well aware that there are kinks to be worked out and they not only welcome your feedback but they are counting on it in order to make changes.  They need to hear from all of you what isn't working and take that back to the designers of the site.  Those of us who make the most use of it will have the best idea of what works and doesn't work.  They will benefit most from professional, constructive, and polite comments.  The intent is to provide something better for us, but to get there may take some adjustments.

Now, having said that, I'll mention my concerns.  One of the reasons I use email so much is how efficient it can be.  One of the reasons I hate Facebook so much is because it is so badly put together.  Counter-intuitive at times and mal-functioning all of the time.  It is not meant to be a vehicle for serious and efficient communication.  It is not for conducting business (although some try).  It is for social purposes, hence the name "social networking."  It is great for advertising and getting your "face" out there or just saying "Hi."  In my opinion, the sorts of discussions going on here, sometimes at lightening speed, just don't fit in the social network format.  And it just doesn't feel as professional to me even though for the most part we are all friendly colleagues merely having discussions about what is important to us.

I found that looking at photos also meant an additional step that took me away from the original thread and I had to waste a lot of time just navigating around.

I have not yet figured out a way to organize the messages i want to save for future reference as I do in my email reader.  I have multiple folders for different topics and I just slip the ones I want in the appropriate folder and delete the others, keeping my mailbox clean.  (Another old but valuable habit I kept from my Journal days.)

Can't we do an either or sort of thing? Those who like the new format can use it, but those of us who rely and appreciate the benefits of email can continue with that.

Like David, I applaud the good intentions, but it needs to meet the needs and preferences of the people using it.

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Bainbridge Island, WA