[CAUT] The demise of the American piano industry (William, Monroe) (Brent Fischer) (Euphonious Thumpe)

erwinspiano erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 10:10:47 MDT 2012

Hi Israel
I agree about embracing the tonalitys of different instruments for different occasins. Kinda like Baskin and Robins 37 different flavors
Viva la differance. I,m not fond of the all Steinway school marketing hype for that reason and it denies students of sampling other wonderful flavors.
 There are many many talented concert level techs on this list that any artist, student,proffesional should be grateful to be able to enlist them to find that rich tone that their ears are intuitively searching for?
Techs that have the capabilities to tweak a Steinway or any other world class instrument.
That said if the belly is deficient how much can be done that is truly satisfactory? We know the answer.
  Brent is correct about the inherent design being sound but its the execution of it as a mass produced item that the details have gotten lost.
 In many small artisan shops, producing a rock solid belly in these pianos is not only possible but required (frankly, a slam dunk) if we are to maintain a reputation for musical pianos. Fortunately some artist and institutions have figured out where to go for the sound that illudes them from the mass produced but under produced factory piano.
 When a piano is built or rebuilt, yes completly, from top to bottom with only a few hands
on the process, the out come falls under scrutiny of quality control that illudes a factory setting.
And when marketing hype prevails all, and that we,ve seen ad nauseum, all that is left for many of the factory built pianos is the emperors new clothes be it Steinway,Yamaha, Bluethner etc. Etc!
Dale

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1Israel Stein <custos3 at comcast.net> wrote:Brent,

Congratulations on your baseball team's
record. And condolences to your clients
if they take you seriously as a source
of recommendation for piano purchase.
Because on most of my remarks regarding
piano tone I was quoting a
well-respected Steinway employee - Eric
Schandall - and not the Steinway
Marketing Department, as you seem to be
doing. I'll trust my own ears and Eric's
judgment over some baseball coach's. I
love the sound of a good, well prepared
Steinway - and I also love the sweet
sound of a nice Bosendorfer for chamber
music and solo recitals, or in one's
living room. Or the dry, crisp tone of a
good Bluthner.for Mozart or Bach. Your
"one size fits all" "Steinway uber
alles" mentality is simply laughable...

The Steinway Artist marketing program is
a very nice marketing tool for both
Steinway and the performing artists
themselves (due to the same public
perceptions that you keep parroting from
Steinway's promotion materials), and is
at this point coasting on past triumphs
and many years of producing truly great
instruments. I have worked with a fair
number of performing artists, and they
are just as full of complaints about not
being able to find the sort of deep and
rich sounding Steinway instruments they
have gotten accustomed to in the past -
and yes, even some Steinway artists. And
in my experience, proper prep has
nothing to do with it (today there are
far more skilled piano technicians
around than 30-40 years ago - yet the
chorus of complaints keeps rising -
explain that?) Some of those instruments
are just dogs, as has always been the
case, by the way - except the proportion
has lately been shifting more and more
to the canine side.

So yes, Brent, go ahead and drive your
truck over whatever book you wish. The
statement you'll be making will be more
about your own judgment  than about any
of the author's. And yes, I know plenty
very successful "technicians" to whom I
would never refer anyone...  Cream
always rises to the top only in dairy
products.

Euphonious Thumpe aka Gordon Large wrote:

>The sad thing to me though, is that with them go plenty of truly resonant instruments who, by
>no fault of their own, sound generally as bad at this point due to simple wear and tear from
>loving use: Stieffs, Conovers, Ivers and Ponds, etc.; pianos that could "blow the doors off"
>most modern-day instruments, if properly restored--- because the "general public" does not
>know the difference. (While continuing to bow before Steinway, largely because it believes
>that it is supposed to.)

I couldn't agree with you more. But here
is where Steinway (and to a lesser
extent Baldwin) marketing is also
playing a role. If a piano isn't a
well-known brand, its value on the used
piano market is often at or below the
cost of a full, quality restoration, no
matter what its potential might be. When
is the last time anyone here tried to
sell a fully restored Boston-made Mason
& Hamlin - and had to settle for a
fraction of the price that an equivalent
model Steinway would fetch? At a really
poor profit margin (if any)? Happens
often enough... At least Mason has a bit
of a cult following among some piano
professionals - see, not everyone buys
the Steinway story... Knabe?  Stieff?
I'll be happy when people learn to even
pronounce those names correctly... It's
difficult to sell an unknown brand, or
the cost of restoring one - when the
marketplace undervalues it largely
because of lack of name recognition.
Yes, on that level it is a tragedy, and
anyone with good English comprehension
skills should be able to see as plain as
day that in his statement to the Times,
Larry Fine happens to be lamenting that
phenomenon by describing the market
conditions that bring it about. But some
people are tone-deaf in more ways than
one...

Israel Stein