Ear Plugs

John Baird, RPT 71023.2217@compuserve.com
Sun, 14 Aug 1994 02:53:43 -0400 (EDT)

David,

>>I know a couple of techs that actually tune with cotton and or ear
plugs...something unsanctamonial about that. <<

Yes, I agree it can be befuddling to see your tuner wearing earplugs, and
yet, I find that I rarely am asked to explain why I do use them for
portions of most tunings.

The piano simply produces more sound than I need to do approximate work
during pitch raising and even the pounding in of fine work in much of the
midrange.  If I am asked, I might draw the analogy of an airplane pilot
wearing sunglasses.  Technically, the sunglasses impair the pilot's
vision, but of course the pilot actually sees better because the
sunglasses cut down the glare.  Earplugs also cut down the "glare."

OK, I'll admit that I'll remove the plugs if I hear the customer
approaching--it's easier not to have to explain at all!

Regards,  John Baird