Bleuthner, history of piano tuners/technicians

Newton Hunt nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 14:59:06 -0400 (EDT)

Bluthners have weird scales.  Rescaling this piano is an excellent idea.
By using a guitar pick, pluck the strings where the tone seems weakist.  If
you get the same tone there is something amiss with the piano.  If you get a
bigger, stronger or more rounded tone the problem is with the hammers, over
strinking, under striking, too light, too tight pinning, etc.  I have noticed
that Bluthners produce a light tone when played lightly and a big sonorous
tone when jplayed with force, something I have been striving for in my
voicing with less success than I would like.
      Lot of luck.
            Newton