Equal Temperament

twinter@mercury.sfsu.edu twinter@mercury.sfsu.edu
Tue, 25 Oct 1994 10:37:04 -0700

Michael,

My understanding is that the equal temperament has been around since the idea
of temperaments arose (ca. 15th century?).  It was always viewed as an
interesting theory, but not very useful, with one notable exception.  Guitars
and lutes have always been tuned to an equal temperament, at least in the
layout of the frets, if not in the tuning of the individual strings.  Imagine
trying to build a guitar in meantone.   I always assumed that the equal
temperament became popular because the tone of the piano permitted the fast
beating thirds and because of the demands of the music being written.

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Danny Boone, I had come to look
forward to his postings on the internet.  If I am remembered with as much
.