Wooleyes News Service

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Wed, 05 Apr 1995 07:37:55 -0400

Stephen Brady rote:
<<"Do you have any WD-40 I could borrow?" I asked what
for, and he said he wanted to spray it all over the action because it
"makes them play great!" >>
How's about A. Kuerti, bless his heart. I took care of him at the Marlboro
Festival this summer, during which the Steinway grands were coming through
with damper wires pressed hard to the side of the DGR holes. I  did the
simple damper wire tweak on the M in his cottage, right in front of him. He
confided that he had sent his wife into town for some WD-40, but was glad
that I had "eased the DGR" for him.
Later on that summer he watched me checking open string work in for standard
and una corda positions as I do. "I would never pull strings. In fact, I used
to have a little sandpaper strip on a handle which could be passed down
through the strings to file the crown to fit the strings." I asked, "But
after you've seated the hammers like this in the standard position, don't you
then have open strings in the U.C.?" "Oh," he answered "una cordas never
sound good anyway!"
All due respect to this pianist. He and I got along well this summer. But it
was disconcerting to find that misinformation such as this was what lay
behind the reputation of a pianist as one who "carried his own tuning and
regulation tools with him".

BeRich
Thanks for the overnight air express on the drum of Insta-Tune, but next time
don't reverse the freight charges .

Bill Ballard RPT      "May you work on interesting pianos."
NH Chapter, PTG              Ancient Chinese Proverb