Chipped Ivory

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sun, 09 Apr 1995 17:58:28 -0400

>I service several Steinways that have developed chipped ivory keys.  These
>tops have next to no sign of a seam between the head and the tail.  Are
>these seams beveled?  If so, which way?  They are beautiful on the
orginals, >but I can't find a way duplicate them.

>Getting all the keys the same color depends on matching the old and new.
>The old tops on one set seems to be an off white and I can't get the old
and new to match.  I have heard of using bleach on the old to make them
whiter.  >Has anyone done this before?   Any other ideas?  Is this a lost art?

>I prefer to do the work myself, not send them off.  I have no trouble with
>most ivories, but these stump me.

>Tim Coates

Tim,

I'm no expert in ivory repair.  But for beautiful keyboards were changing
the front will comprimise uniformity of color I have very successfully done
repairs on chipped ivory using ivory inlays.  This is best done with the
ivory top removed.  Using a small file, I file out the chip and fit a
matching peice of ivory to fit, glue, and polish.

Regarding the "seamless" glue joint I've been told that a very slight bevel
is used for best results, on the order on one degree.  Keep the glue out of
the joint, and use ivory cam clamps or clamps that push the joint together.

There are advertised fillers, specifically made for chipped ivory repair, but
I've never tried them.  I'm sure you'll get advice from others too.  This is
my two cents worth.

          ____
   David /||||\ Stanwood        Stanwood@tiac.net
         (o  o)                 West Tisbury, Massachusetts  USA
   --oOO--(  )--OOo-----        On the Island of Martha's Vineyard