Tuning pins & pin blocks

phillip c sloffer psloffer@indiana.edu
Thu, 13 Apr 1995 15:55:08 -0500 (EST)

Hi All

While I am unable to say when tuning pins changed from smooth to threaded
or when pin blocks changed from solid to laminated, I at least wanted to
offer my thoughts as to why  these changes occured.  In a word, tension.
The higher tension found on pianos as they developed required a tighter
tuning pin.  The pins have treads for two reasons I think.  The thread
actually grips the inside of the hole.  The other reason for the thread
is simple to make it easier to remove the pin.

Now on the other hand.  For harpsichords the best pins are smooth.  These
pins do not need to be very tight.  I take care of some that are loose
enough I can remove and replace them with my fingers, just about.  Also
harpsichords break strings frequently enough that the zither type pins may
actually harm the holes with constantly being removed and replaced to replace
strings.  For the same reason, low tension,  harpsichords can get by just
fine with solid pin blocks.

The forte-piano is another matter.  I would guess that the earlier
instruments used solid blocks and smooth tuning pins.  And that as
pianos with more volume and more carrying power were built with higher
string tension the smooth pin would not hold and the solid block was not
strong enough either.

I have seen original tuning pins in an instrument dating from cir 1825.
These are oblong pins and they are threaded.  We have an 1806 Broadwood
some place down in storage.  I will go take a look at it in a few days
and see if what sort of tuning pins it has.

Later,
-Phil

+  Phil Sloffer         +
+  psloffer@indiana.edu +