teaching books

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 08:25:40 -0400

I suppose I could defend Art's book, but he's only a friend of a friend.
What I think I like about the book is the variety of topics covered,
and the plain language used. I'm not trying to train techs in a
vocational school. I'm trying to give the users an appreciation,
respect and understanding of the instrument.
any
And book which is only 1/2" thick can't pretend to have all the answers
about pianos, but it might just be able to head people in the right
direction. I tell my students that they won't be tuners or technicians
after 1 3hr. course, but it is rather like learning a new instrument.
No promises on how far they'll go, but I will teach them the
fingerings. They have to take it from there..>

With the above statement in mind, why not consider using Larry Fine's "The
Piano Book"? I find it very useful in situations with people who don't know
anything about pianos, but are eager to learn.

Gordon Large, RPT
Mt. Vernon, ME