Online RPT List/Piano Page

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 08:49:42 -0500

On Sun, 16 Apr 1995, John Baird wrote:

> RE: Making the list of RPTs available online
>     PTG Electronic Communication Committee
>
> THE LIST--what form?  Our idea is to sort the list by state, then by city
> within each state.  If we include FirstName, LastName, City, State, and
> PhoneNumber, the list of 2000 RPTs would be around 140K in size, or, if
> the list is divided into our seven geographical regions, about 20K per
> region.  Would require a guide telling which states are in which region.

I tend to lean *away* from including telephone numbers on the Internet if
only because it is so far-reaching.  My local telephone number (grab your
seats folks!) is *unlisted*, and since I pay for that service, I'd rather
not scatter it around the Internet.  The few places it's listed--like at
the University and in the PTG directory--are the few places I
specifically don't mind having it readily available.  (Part of the
reason, for the curious, is because my wife is a Public Defender and her
clients aren't known for being particularly couth.  As I'm sure some--if
not most--of you have found out, although the Internet isn't terribly
intrusive, once you put your name, address, and phone number out there,
privacy tends to become elusive along with security.)  If somebody wants
to contact me from the Internet, they are free to do so by email.  I'd
rather be the one who attaches a phone number to my name in this medium.

My suggestion would be to *not* include phone numbers (or street/mailing
addresses, for that matter) in that list.  If someone on the list wants
their address and phone number "published", so to speak, on the Internet,
let them include it either in their signature or at their own home page.
This way, the individual is better capable of controlling if/when their
"vitals" are accessible.  Also, having only some of the addreses and phone
numbers in the online directory wouldn't be good form.  Finally, I can see a
nightmare in the upkeep of the directory when people need to change
addresses and/or phone numbers.  So, Name, City/State/Country,
Email-address should be all there is to see in the online directory.
This will keep maintenance of the directory to a minimum.

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette