Listserv at Prairienet

Ken Hale khale@oro.net
Fri, 04 Aug 1995 00:28:07 -0700

>John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
>musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca
>

>>I checked with the people at Prairienet and found that we can get a free
>>listserver there.  Before we jump in, we need to figure whether to divide
>>the list or move it or whatever.  Any comments?

Boy, they must have heard me thinking that very thing. I believe it is very
appropriate for the PTG to be sponsoring such a list or lists. Actually, I
was thinking about a newsgroup, which would provide the ease of clicking on
the topics that interest you. Although, I have no idea if newsgroups are
harder to maintain or not. Maybe one list and one newsgroup. I, in my short
experience with Internet lists, am seeing the time it takes to go thru
messages, but it can all be done off line and I don't know of a good
Newsgroup Reader that does off line(however, I am checking out Free Agent
and it llooks promising).

>I _really_ like the idea of having two lists - one for PTG members only and
>another which would be open to anyone interested in the piano. I'd certainly
>like to see a list where Guild matters can be discussed with more privacy
>than this list provides.

Would the former require signing up as a PTG member and passwords? There
have been several good messages posted regarding splitting or staying one
list. At this time I am leaning towards having one list for all levels. (And
like the idea of having one open to
the public, teachers, hobbyists, high school students, etc. I am sure there
are plenty Technicians that would frequent the list or newsgroup, just like
experienced people mingle with the newbies on Compuserve.)

This would take the pressure off BYU and University Technicians could have a
special interest list if they choose, because there seems to be need for
that also.

>>The sysop at Prairienet mentioned that we are consistently on the top ten
>>list of usage at Prairienet with the Piano Page!!

Great! This is good time.

               Ken Hale

                      khale@oro.net     Compuserve: 74633.2474