Friction

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Fri, 04 Aug 1995 13:35:55 -0400 (EDT)

Larry Fine asked:
> I'm surprised to hear that friction is independent of the contact area.
> Could you please explain why this should be so, counter-intuitively?

An intuitive explanation of this may be had by thinking of the
molecular forces which cause friction. Consider static friction,
which applies when there is no relative motion between 2 surfaces. On
a very small scale the surfaces appear very bumpy and where the bumps
coincide the contact area is `cold-welded'. It is these bonds which
must be broken to break the frictional contact between the surfaces.
The minimum force required to break these bonds is independent of
how many there are i.e. the surface area of contact. [Intuitive
reasoning only here as requested.]

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686