splitting our list

Allen Leigh a-leigh@risky.wcslc.edu
Mon, 07 Aug 1995 15:11:03 -0600

Over the weekend, Israel Stein responded to my posting of Aug 4.
I appreciate Israel's comments because they brought out points that
I need to consider.

would migrate to the list at which they felt comfortable.  Israel
commented:

>Here you are running into another problem.  If the only subscribers are
>those who are "comfortable" at a given level, you might come up with lots
>of good questions and no-one to supply answers.  Or a limited range of
>answers.  Or incorrect answers with no-one to point out the problems.  Your
>available pool of knowledge will be limited.  True learning often involves
>rising above one's present comfort level.

I believe there are many technically qualified people who would like the
opportunity to be mentors and who would subscribe to the list serving
beginning tuners.  Similarly, those who are not interested in mentoring
could stay away from that list and not be bothered by us.

I think the list can serve two needs:  First, a transferal of information
from the experienced to the inexperienced.  Second, a fellowship of people
with common interests.  I enjoy the chit chat that occurs on the net, because
it binds us together, builds trust between us, and forms us into a community.
Without the chit chat, the list just as well be replaced with an archive
of technical information.

Along this vein, in my weekend post, I commented that I would enjoy a list that
was open to all, RPT, beginners like me, music people, anyone with an interest
in the technical side to pianos.  In response, Israel commented:

>Sounds to me like you want to try reading the newsgroup
>rec.music.makers.piano; a newsgroup is a better format for what you are
>suggesting than a mailing list, and one already exists that pretty much
>does it.  Creating such a list would be unnecessary duplication.

In my case, I am not able to access newsgroups or the web.  I currently have
access to the net through a small collage at which I am an adjunct (part time)
instructor in the computer science department.  The college system does not
provide newsgroup readers or web browsers.  So, at present, lists are my only
contact with piano technicians.

/Allen Leigh
a-leigh@risky.wcslc.edu