Leverage

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 07:43:44 -0400

>Is it another symptom of incorrect leverage if you have a piano in
>good regulation, with hammers correctly bored,  but the dip is too
>deep?  To have 1 3/4" blow and .025"aftertouch, the dip has to be
>over .400".

Vince,

Excessive dip is associated with actions that have a strike ratio of 5.0 or
less or: with actions in which the capstan contact point is significantly
out of alignment with the wip-center to key-balance-point.

A question for you.  How do you set dip/aftertouch?  With your method is
there any leeway?  I mean could you shave a little off the 0.025" and still
have an eensy weensy bit of aftertouch?  I've heard it said that this
minimal aftertouch is common in Europe.

David Stanwood