Loud Blow, Soft Blow

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 11:45:58 -0500 (EST)

I believe that I asked this question before and got no response.
What do feel, intuitively, is the <audible> difference between
the tone produced by a hard blow and that produced by a soft
blow.  I am not necessarily asking for an in-depth analysis
backed up by a lot of physics, although, if someone wants to do
that they are welcome.  It would probably help the discussion if
the physics waited until enough persons gave their intuitive
input.  I will start with what I think is the difference.

A hard blow produces a strong attack that is several times louder
in comparison with the tone that immediately follows.  A soft
blow will produce a many times much smaller attack than the hard
blow relative to the tone that follows the attack.  Also, the
softer blow does not last as long as the tone of the hard blow
because the it was not given as much energy as the hard blow.

Michael Wathen