Ammer clavichord

Dr. C.D. Lindblom LINDBLOM@saturn.montclair.edu
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 12:17:00 -0500 (EST)

Unfortunately a price of $15,000 for an Ammer clavichord is
totally unrealistic.

K.G. Ammer was a German production shop located in Thueringen
(formerly East Germany), considerably smaller than such better
known firms as Neupert and Wittmayer.  There is considerable
information on the firm, spiced with some amusing anecdotes and
a fairly negative evaluation, in "The Modern Harpsichord" by
Wolfgang (Wallace) Zuckermann published by October House in New York
in 1969 (pp. 73-77).  This book is long since out of print, but
available in many libraries.  If you can't locate it, I'd be glad
to xerox the relevant pages if you e-mail me privately.

As to current prices: One can buy new custom made clavichords from
makers with international reputations for six or seven thousand
dollars, since a clavichord is a much less complex instrument to
build than either a harpsichord or a fortepiano.  I believe someone
already suggested you contact Glenn Giuttari at the Harpsichord
Clearing House, 9 Chestnut St.,Rehoboth, MA  02769.  His telephone
is (508) 252-4304, Fax number (508) 252-5628.  He sells used
instruments in the real world, and in his May 1994 listing, which is
the latest I can put my hands on at the moment, he lists 11
clavichords for sale;  the asking prices for all but two are under
$5,000, and the most expensive one is $7,000.  These are mostly
custom built instruments crafted by individual makers, not factory-
built production models, and the prices listed are asking prices.
No Ammer clavichords are listed, but there is one by Sperrhake
(a large German production shop in Bavaria); the asking price
is $1200, the lowest of any of the clavichords listed.

Sorry I can't bring happier news!
                              Dan Lindblom.

lindblom@saturn.montclair.edu