Beginning Tech: Upright Reg. - Hammer Blocking

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Sun, 20 Aug 1995 16:36:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 20 Aug 1995 DAVander@aol.com wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a Beginning Tech question about the regulation of a console piano
> action.  There are about five or six hammers that block against the strings
> when they are given a hard blow.  At lower volume levels they work fine, but
> when a test blow is given the hammers block.
>
> Does anyone have an idea as to what may cause this condition?  I surmise that
> perhaps the jack is not tripping out from under the hammer butt when it
> connects with the let-off button, but I don't know why this may be.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> David A. Vanderhoofven
> davander@aol.com
> Joplin, MO
> Associate Member, Kansas City Chapter PTG

I've seen this from pianos that have soft felt on the let-off button.  The
only fix I can think of is replace the poor felt (yuck!) or just adjust
the let-off farther from the string.  The hazzards of poor pianos!

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas