University loan programs

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 07:53:59 -0400

Hello everyone,

I just ran across some new information regarding college & university loan
programs that I thought might be relevant to the ongoing discussion.  While
talking with a factory sales rep this past weekend, he mentioned that at many
of the sales around the country , where the loaned instruments are being sold
off, the figures are dropping dramatically from sale to subsequent sale.  If
this trend continues, it won't be long before the involved manufacturers are
forced to discontinue the programs because they simply won't be able to
afford that kind of expenditure without some kind of return on their
investment.  To do so would be similar to a school having no donations and
allowing everyone to attend on scholarships.  Their simply wouldn't be
anything left to pay the instructor's salaries or the light bill.  As I
mentioned in Albuquerque, the whole thing has to cash flow out or it just
won't work.

Again, anything of this magnitude should be approached carefully and all
angles carefully considered.

BTW, I also recently learned that the University of South Carolina chose to
purchase about a million dollars worth of new instruments rather than became
involved in one of these programs and Berry College just this week received
two new 7 footers on a straight lease program rather than a loan program.

I hope everyone makes it through the startup of the new school year.

Allan Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ co.
Berry College
Gilreath@aol.com

"If something sounds too good to be true, that's usually because it is." -
Anonymous