Damppchasers

MR DAVID M SWARTZ NKLP55A@prodigy.com
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 20:03:35 -0500 (EST)

-- [ From: David Swartz * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> Date: Friday, 15-Dec-95 08:12 AM
>
> From: Kenneth W. Burton        \ Internet:
>

> Subject: Re: Damppchasers
>
>         To all who have to cope with great humidity variations
throughout
>  the cycle of the year:
>
>         I live in Canada on the great central plains where winter
> temperatures often reach minus 30 degrees.
>
>         I am servicing a new Yamaha G2 in a church. Of course, you
know
> that a church is like a desert in the winter when the heating system
> dries out the air completely. I installed a Damppchaser to protect
the
> piano and provide tuning stability. I also made sure that the piano
was
> kept closed when not in use and that it was covered with a good
> leatherette and cloth cover.
>
>         This is the third winter for the piano and there is no tuning
> stability. Yesterday, when I tuned it, the R.H. in the room was 29%
and I
>  had to raise the pitch 10 cents. On November 9, the last time I
tuned it,
>  the R.H. was also 29% and I had to raise the pitch 8 cents.
>
>         This is making me very sceptical about the effectiveness of
the
> Damppchaser. Is it worth bothering with?
>

>         Ken Burton,
>      Calgary, Alberta

Ken,

The effectiveness of a humidity control system relies on several
factors.  Be certain that the plate bolts are tight and all accessible
plate screws (pinblock, etc.).  When the humidifier was installed, did
you custom fit the brackets for the unit to fit up into the beams?  It
is important that the humidifier is close to the soundboard.  I leave
about 3/4 to 1" spacing from the rib to the moisture distribution
shield.  The humidifier obviously is directly beneath that.  By
measuring and cutting the brackets, one can achieve the appropriate
height required for the particular piano.

The fluxuating environmental result may be minimized by fine tuning the
Dampp-Chaser system with proper placement of the humidistat.  Churches
are notorious for turning down the heat after a Sunday service and
cranking it up again for Wed. night rehearsals.  The number of people
present translates to BTU's and will change the piano's stability as
well.  Analyze the distance of the humidistat in relation to the
humidifier.  If the humidistat is too close to the humidifier, the
system will not disperse the proper amount of moisture needed in a dry
environment.  Also, change pads often.

As others may have mentioned, an additional, external humidifier will
prove helpful.  At school, we have external humidifiers along with the
Dampp-Chasers.  The external unit (not a mist type) allows the Dampp-
Chaser to keep the piano in check. Tuning stability is far more
successful than ever before.  It was rediculous to try to keep up with
the pianos with out the DC's. Our humidity is around 12% in January to
89% in July.  Additional de-humidifying elements are needed for high
humidity environments.

P.S.  I would also check the pinblock bedding.  I've found some nice
gaps in some Yamaha "G's" as well as Kawai KG's.

Good luck,

Dave Swartz, RPT
NWC
Majestic Piano