test blows

richard west rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Sun, 01 Jan 1995 11:54:37 -0600 (CST)

I firmly believe in firm test blows, but I have always doubted the
usefulness of hand-held beaters.  I have used them, but I feel that I
don't really have a sense of how hard I'm hitting the key and that
instead of stressing the fingers and hand, I'm stressing the wrist.
Since I'm an aural/electronic tuner,  I use the tuner to monitor my
stability.  I find moderate blows work well, especially if one uses
pianistic technique to achieve forte blows without punishing the piano
or one's anatomy.  I also agree with those that advocate good physical
conditioning.  Good upper body conditioning has helped me considerably
in avoiding back and shoulder problems.

In addition multiple strikes tell a lot about stability.  Four or
five, quick, light to moderate test blows will test stability better
than one or two hard strikes.  And too hard a blow will destabilize
the string so that on soft blows the pitch will rise.  In any case,
(not to belabor the old aural-electronic debate) I've noticed a marked
improvement in my stability since using the ETD.

Unfortunately, I still have occasional problems with split finger
tips (ouch!).  Any "tips" on handcreams to avoid dry skin?

Richard West
University of Nebraska