This list

John Minor jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon, 02 Jan 1995 22:35:49 -0600

On Mon, 2 Jan 1995, Ron Berry wrote:

I have some reservations about advertising the listserve openly...we could
get some real *bozos* asking all kinds of kinky questions and such...wait a
minute...we already have those types here!!!!  :*)   (clown smiley)
Perhaps a discreet ad on alt.music.makers.pianos for interested parties
to email privately OR emphasize the technical aspects of the listserve.
Usenet groups probably have the greatest world-wide appeal and most
pianotech types will eventually find their way there somehow.

John Minor
University of Illinois

> I had kicked around the idea that this list should be "advertised" by making
> notices in the appropriate places on the internet.  The more I thought about
> this I think that just advertising it in the Journal might be the best.
>
> The current places that I know of where piano discussions are taking place are:
>         Music Arts Forum on Compuserve.  This is a very general forum with
> most                   activity taking place in the Instruments/sound
> category.  We get many                  requests for info on buying pianos
> and other consumer topics.  We are
>                 working on uploading the PTG tech bulletins and pamphlets.
>         rec.music.makers.piano.   This usenet group only has piano topics but
>                 might cover shoulder pain in pianist or where to get good piano
>                 methods books.  There are often questions about buying
> pianos and
>                 many opinions to answer.  There are not many technicians
> present                       here.
>         Pianotech.  You are all aware of this list.  This is the only place
> that I know                   where strictly technical talk happens.  Would
> encouraging other                 interneters help it get off track?
> Perhaps we could make ourselves                 know to other technician
> organizations in other countries.  (I'm still                 trying to find
> out if any of the Japanese, Koreans, or Taiwanese techs
> are on the internet.)  Having input from other countries might be
>      valuable.  We do already have a few technicians from outside the US
>               and Canada.
>
> Kick around these ideas.
>
> May you all have a prosperous New Year.
>
> -Ron
> Ron Berry
> ronberry@iquest.net

   Age at which a child's belief in Santa Claus peaks: 4---Harpers Index
     jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu//Piano Technician//University of Illinois