misc

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 PSLOFFER@ucs.indiana.edu
Wed, 4 Jan 95 07:11:36 EWT

I offer my 2 cents regarding recent topics.
I like this thing we have and would be very disappointed if the
wrong people got on and changed the focus of the group away from
the technical stuff we talk about.
I tune about an equal number of grands and uprights.  I tune
grands right handed and uprights left handed.  I was taught that
this was the "only way to do it".  I know better now but I still
do it this way and find it easier on my arms and back etc.
I pound as much as the next guy but I remember a comment from Ben
Mcklveen that people who say you need to pound are really saying
"they need to pound".  Right after Ben said this someone asked
what Ben would do if he were tuning a new Steinway D for a
concert.  He said "Well sometime ya do need to pound."
Assuming stable conditions and a piano that has no real problems
the one thing I do now that helps my tuning stability is to
tighten the plate screws.  I have a couple screw driver blades
that fit my tuning hammer. I tighten plate screws all the time
and it really makes a difference in how the piano tunes.
I almost look forward to pitch raises now that I use the Accu-
tuner.  I just need to remember to reset back to 0.0  otherwise I
end up lowering pitch too.
My first tuning outside this year was another mouse in the piano
tale.  Dead mice!  Three to be exact.  Nest, droppings, stains
and rust.  This lady about had a cow when I took her piano apart.
She was a neat house keeper and the thought of all this filth had
a rather hydraulic effect on her.  Her husband stepped in and
removed the crud and I stood and pointed here and there as he
vacuumed away.  I think I will put some gloves and an  apron in
the van so next time I can feel a little more secure about taking
Mickey out of the piano.  I washed me hands a lot on this one.
Phil Sloffer                  Indiana University School of Music
psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu                     Bloomington indiana