Bechstein Action-Hamm Weight

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 04 Jan 1995 10:08:51 -0600

At  6:00 AM 1/4/95 -0700, Yardbird47@aol.com wrote:

>Calling all cars, calling all cars!!! Does any else out there weigh hammers?
>I'd be glad to trade some specs.
>
>Bill Ballard RPT   "I'll play it, 'n tell you what it is later"
>NH Chapter                                 Miles Davis..........

--------------------

        This case was first presented as an issue concerning whippen flange
springs on an action with some significant weight problems, and thanks to
Newton for convincing me to call D. Stanwood.   I am very interested in
weighing hammers and have been intending to get a good scale for some time
now.  However, wouldn't you agree that in the end a scale cannot tell you
exactly how to solve an actions weight problems.   This comes from a
throughly intuitive understanding of the entire action, its mechanics and
geometry.  The scale could  help and possibly save some time with decision
making and certainly enable a more articulate explanation of the solution,
but ultimately it is only a gauge and would seem the most useful at
assuring consistancy, which I accomplish with a micrometer.  I am
interested in whatever charts you or someone else may have and I will get a
scale sometime soon, but I do insist that my end result would be same- with
or without a scale.

        What scale do you recommend?  I lost my notes of the particular one
that Stanwood recommended.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu