Angular Acceleration in a Piano Key

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Thu, 05 Jan 1995 15:51:01 -0400 (EDT)

Michael has hit upon a good point here. The ability to accelerate a key
rapidly is important to a pianist, and what hinders that ability is the
presence of too much friction and/or inertia in an action. It is easy to
measure friction in an action and to eliminate it, if necessary, but
inertia......No one has come up with a good way of measuring it or even
begun to figure out how much is appropriate. Touch weight deals only with
static weight or balance weight as D. Stanwood says; it only reveals
how a piano will feel during pianissimo playing and, to some degree,
gives us an idea as to whether or not a key will return sufficiently fast
to provide for good repetition. Lets have some talk about inertia from all
you techno-type people out there. And in case you are wondering what I'm
talking about, have any of you ever encountered an action that was weighed
off to reasonable standards but still had a very heavy feel? I can almost
guarantee the piano keys were loaded with lead to achieve the "proper"
touch weight specs., adding a hell of a lot of inertia in the process. I
bet, also, that the piano was suffering from some mechanical advantage
problems that resulted in excessive hammer travel per unit of key travel.
Believe me, such problems as indicated above can produce real unwieldy
pianos. What do you think???

PS -- Heavy hammers add a lot of inertia, also.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory