This list

gordo@genie.geis.com gordo@genie.geis.com
Fri, 6 Jan 95 12:25:00 UTC

With being a newcomer to this Group, maybe I shouldn't touch this one, but
when Bill said, "thoughts, anyone?" I figured "anyone" was me, too! (VBG)

Nobody likes, needs or wants "junk E-mail!"  Like a few others in our Group,
I am one of the minority who has no access to a University internet.  I live
in the Boonies and have had no local node to any of the Services for 5
years.  Therefore, I pay 14 cents a minute to download mail.  Since joining
this elite Group of Technicians, my E-mail has tripled.  With being a member
of Genie, I cannot always access their 9600 number and am forced to use
their 2400 number, which ofcourse, makes things slow.  So to download stuff
that is not interesting, is a waste of time and money to me.

On one-liners to an individual, they should be sent privately and not to the
Group.  I'm guility of this as of yesterday.   One of my best buddies is a
Technician at BYU and rather than type out the long heading of the internet
code, I wrote him one or two one-liners, meant only for him.  This won't
happen again.  I'll take the time to write him personally if I have a
comment about something from our Group, meant only for him.

So I feel Bill has made a good point in his comment.  He, like me, uses a
Service not connected to a University for free E-mail.  So tidbits of
interest or Questions and Answers of interest to the Group should be what we
download, not stuff that is hard or unteresting to read.  I must admit that
in the week or so I've been a member, I've found only about 1/3 to 1/2 of
the stuff posted is interesting!  I've been a Technician for 30 years, only
about 10 of those years, full-time.  So I'm still learning. And technical
stuff and/or better ways to use the SAT are the things I find most
interesting and welcome to read.

Gordo