Mason BB Grand problems

DAVE9239@delphi.com DAVE9239@delphi.com
Sun, 08 Jan 1995 16:36:40 -0500 (EST)

This is my first post to this group.  Hope everything goes OK.

One of our local High Schools has a Mason & Hamlin BB grand.
The first time I tuned it, approximately 2 years ago, the upper
1/2 to 1/3 of the instrument seemed very sluggish in the
action.  Test blows and just plain loud playing were
impossible.  A ff test blow resulted in a mp sound at best.  I
suspect some type of sticky liquid was dumped in the instrument
(CoKe?).  The action was "de-glued" and regulated shortly
thereafter, by an unknown to me technician.  I have no idea
what he/she found.  The action is in excellent condition now.

Between then and now, a new teacher was hired.  I installed a
Damp-Chaser in Nov. and tuned the instrument about 2 weeks
later.  It had last been tuned in Sept.  My (subjective)
opinion is that it had shifted more than it should have in that
period of time.

Now to the problem:  Dealing again with the upper 1/2 to 1/3 of
the piano, I try to nudge a tuning pin to change pitch.  I move
the pin a small increment, enough that the pitch should change.
 It doesn't.  Heavy test blows are ineffective.  Another
increment, more test blows, no change.  I do this 3 to 5 times
before, finally, the pitch jumps.  I can eventually get the
string to settle where I want it to, but stability, of course,
is non-existent.  I'm suspecting problems still from the same
can of soda, but not sure if I'm right.  Am I on the right
track?  If so, what is the solution to the problem?  The
teacher wants a stable piano, but funds are somewhat limited.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

New subject:  I would also like to see this area remain
technical.  Maybe it should be limited to PTG members.
Certainly should be advertised in the Journal.  Would a second
list that would be "consumer" oriented be worthwhile?

Dave