Mason BB Grand problems

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon, 09 Jan 1995 08:48:49 -0600

On Sun, 8 Jan 1995 DAVE9239@delphi.com wrote:

> Now to the problem:  Dealing again with the upper 1/2 to 1/3 of
> the piano, I try to nudge a tuning pin to change pitch.  I move
> the pin a small increment, enough that the pitch should change.
>  It doesn't.  Heavy test blows are ineffective.  Another
> increment, more test blows, no change.  I do this 3 to 5 times
> before, finally, the pitch jumps.  I can eventually get the
> string to settle where I want it to, but stability, of course,
> is non-existent.  I'm suspecting problems still from the same
> can of soda, but not sure if I'm right.  Am I on the right
> track?  If so, what is the solution to the problem?  The
> teacher wants a stable piano, but funds are somewhat limited.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Have you considered replacing one of the offending unisons to see if
changing the string will solve the problem?  Are you sure the tuning pin
isn't flexing -- or even twisting?  If soda pop got down in the pinblock,
you could have sticky pins!  Or even "glued" pins.

> New subject:  I would also like to see this area remain
> technical.  Maybe it should be limited to PTG members.
> Certainly should be advertised in the Journal.  Would a second
> list that would be "consumer" oriented be worthwhile?

A great idea -- that'll probably find its way to one of the .COM
providers where it will have a limited audience.  I still think a
newsgroup alt.piano.technician is the way to go.  That way it'll be
obvious that this will be pretty much all technical discussion -- with a
few wisecracks thrown in.

Ron Torrella                  "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music                           --Jimmy Durante
University of Illinois