Capstans, Inertia

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@compuserve.com
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 01:40:00 -0500 (EST)

Dear David,

Thanks to you and Bill Ballard for sharing your information and data here on
Pianotech. I am curious about a couple of points. Have you had a chance to
evaluate strike ratio of modern Yamaha and Kawai actions, and how do they
compare to your ideal of 5.5 of the Hamburg Steinway? Next, I've wondered about
the effect of wippen assist springs as used on some Schwander and now Korean
actions. Are there situations where the springs (if quite strong) hurt
repetition speed and reliability by working against jack return?

Thanks again for your work!

Bill Spurlock