Capstans, Inertia

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 18:22:16 -0500

To Bill Spurlock:

Dear Bill,

You ask how Yamaha and Kawaii strike ratios compare to the
Hamburg ideal of 5.5?

A vast majority of our strike weight/ratio studies have
been on Steinway actions.  The numbers that we have on
Yamaha and Kawaii are not enough to draw statistically
relevant conclusions.  What I've seen varies.  When I was
teaching At the North Carolina State convention last fall
we measured a new Kawaii that was in the class room. We
classified it as a medium strike weight/full leverage
type, and it did feel light (right on 5.5 level).  Newton
took some data an older Kawaii at Rutgers.  It was a
Medium strike weight/Low leverage and it felt  heavy.
Average strike ratio=6.5  I recently measured a 5 year old
Yamaha C-7.  It was a Full Strike Weight/Medium leverage
and it felt heavy.  Average strike ratio= 6.3 (It was even
heavier before key bushing friction was reduced).   I've
measured a 9  Yamahas with Full Strike/Full Leverage,
average 5.6) and it felt fine except for very low flange
friction which made for difficult pianissimo control.

If any of you come up with data on strike weight/ratio I
would love to include it in my database.  I'm happy to
share the knowledge.

Bill... you asked about repetition in wippen support spring type
actions.  I'll respond as soon as I have more time to write.

It's really great to be in the discussion with all of you!

David C. Stanwood

_