Capstans, Inertia

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sun, 15 Jan 1995 08:15:00 -0500

To Bill Spurlock:

Dear Bill,

In responding to your question about repetition in wippen
support springs:

We routinely modify Steinways with support springs with
great success.  Acceptable repetition can be had even when
springs are working hard.  The limit for balance weight
reduction is about 25 grams with the 0.7mm heavy renner
support spring.  We have balanced actions to a balance
weight of 30 grams that repeat very well.

It is my observation that wippen support springs work very
well with full projection weight hammers and full
leverage.  The substantial hammer mass requires a stronger
rep spring and gives the repetition lever something
substantial to push against.  The low amount of key lead
facilitates return acceleration of the key as well.

Were I see support springs not working is in many Korean
makes were the ratio seems to range anywhere from 5.5 to
6.5.  When the ratio is 6.5, too much lead is put into the
key and repetition suffers.

David C. Stanwood