Just me on my soap box for a moment

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 10:31:38 -0500

Hi to all:

This is in response to the recent post about tuning for concerts
and so forth where use of a "strobe" is not wanted.

I have never seen a "strobe" give good results.  Taken at his
word the manager is correct about not wanting the piano tuned
with a strobe.  However, it is more likely he is using the term
strobe to include any electronic devise including the accu-tuner.

I have tuned pianos for many kinds of performances for the 15
years or so that I have worked a IU.  Until I bought my accu-
tuner last fall all these tunings were aural.  I posted several
questions about using the accu-tuner, one of them concerned using
the thing to tune for concerts.  While most of us who use the SAT
are happy with what it does for us, most of the responses to my
question about using it for concert tuning were no, never or
seldom.  I found this interesting.  I have been very impressed
with what the machine can do if used properly.  That is to say a
good piano in good condition tuned with a good tuning stored in
memory should yield good results.  But.................

Sometime ago we also discussed the effects of temperature on
tuning and pitch.  In general the pitch drops when the piano gets
warm and goes up when the piano gets cold.

When I tune in peoples homes I pay little attention to
temperature.  What ever the home is, it is usually the same long
enough for me to tune.  This is also true in other cases or at
least is not a concern.  The stage is another matter.  While I
have no problem with what the accu-tuner can do,  I stopped using
it on stage because of the conditions there.  The temperature
changes a lot.  Doors are opened, curtains raised or lowered,
pianos are moved from cooler conditions to warmed conditions.
All of which makes it impractical to use the accu-tuner.  The
thing is just too accurate.  The last time I tuned at the
auditorium I finally put it away and finished tuning aurally.

I think what is really happening here is that people have had bad
experiences with piano tuners who are not very good and who have
to tune with the machine or they cant tune at all.  I mean no
offense by this remark.  I mean that if I use the machine by
choice that is one thing but if I use it because I have to that's
another thing all together.

So where does this all lead or leave us?  Personally I am glad
to know how to tune aurally.  I am also glad to have the accu-
tuner because it makes work easier especially pitch changes.
And frankly I am not sure what I would say to someone starting
out about how to learn to tune.

That is enough for the moment.  I welcome any and all comments.

Phil Sloffer