Marketing & RPT status

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 10:18:54 -0600

On Tue, 17 Jan 1995, David Porritt wrote:

> If I have ever had any doubts about our need to inform the public about
> our services, they were dispelled by a recent concert contract I received.
> In the contract there is a paragraph that reads (the all caps are theirs):
>
> "PIANO TUNING:
> [deleted this stuff -- y'all read it anyhow]
>
> While they are seeking quality work, they don't specify an RPT member.
> This is not Henryetta Homemaker, this is a professional concert promoter
> and we still haven't let them know about RPT status.  They do reveal
> rather unenlightened thinking with their "STROBE tunings are not
> acceptable" clause.  These are supposed to be people in the know.

Recently, while doing some research in the library, I came across several
books covering the subject of concert artist management, entertainer
contracts, etc., and was struck by the *complete* absence of any
information pertaining to maintenance and care of pianos in concert
venues.  It's obvious that the PTG suffers from a severe lack of public
education (ie. educating the public) on these topics.

I'm constantly amazed by the ignorance among musicians about what the PTG
is and why people are members of this organization.  I'm sure most of you
remember seeing my post last summer about why I wasn't attending the
"institute."  (To refresh, the School of Music administration sees
attendance at such events as being "perks" and provides funding in only
laughable quantities.)  The PTG has a *_LONG_* way to go before the
public understands who and what we are!

Ron Torrella                  "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music                           --Jimmy Durante
University of Illinois