Repetition Experiment

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@compuserve.com
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 22:41:00 -0500 (EST)

Bill Ballard inquired:
<Did you also investigate deep repetition?> [repetition without allowing the key
to return fully to rest between strokes]
No, my key driving cam allowed the key to come all the way up between strokes. I
suspect that limiting key return would not reduce maximum repetition speed too
much unless the key was restricted to the lower two-thirds or less of its
stroke. With high checking, the jack seems to be able to reset very early in the
key return phase.

I was running the action for an hour or more at a time, and the main problems
were melting of the keytop caused by friction with the action cloth-covered cam,
and a horrendous noise level. It was impossible to be in the same room with the
action running at 15 cycles/sec. without going nuts, even with ear protection!

The shape of my cam was very unscientific -- just my guess at a simulation of a
finger's stroke of the key.

Bill Spurlock