Mason & Hamlin is Out

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 11:45:56 -0400 (EDT)

Someone out there correct me if I am wrong, but I think there was a recent
post that indicated that Mas & Ham, Falcone, and Sohmer (same company) are
not producing new pianos but the factory is trying to keep open by taking
in rebuilding work. I believe the same is true of Fandrich Piano Co. in
Hoaquium Washington. Needless to say, news of any piano factory closing is
disturbing, but news of factories closing that are quality oriented is
doubly disturbing. Seems funny, to be sitting here behind a very hi-tech,
little hands-on piece of manufacturing -- computer sales have sliced away
at the piano market, especially the quality end -- talking about the demise
of my not so high-tech, very hands-on profession.

Well, I'm not supposed to be communicating while I'm volunteering. Allow me
to modify that statement. No lengthy communications with lots of technical
subtleties. Same for you, too, Michael of Cincinnati. (Glad to see you make
a post!!)

Cheers, Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory