my last word on prepared pianos

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 05:35:03 -0500

More on inside playing.  But no more after this one.

We have a kind of love or rather like-hate relationship with all
who play pianos inside.  We always help anyone as much as we can
regarding piano playing and the composition people are no
exception.  However they are there own worst enemy.  Anything
that they do that causes them trouble is fine with us and we
don't necessarily try to warn them if it looks like what they are
doing is going to cause them problems.  Dampers tend to get hung
up when people play inside and they must suffer the consequences.

Whenever the regular performance pianos are played inside are
main concern is for the people in the next recital.  They may not
be able to perform if the piano is broken.  This sort of thing
happens about once a semester.

I am not aware of any real damage to harpsichords here from
playing inside.  No broken strings yet.  The tuning suffers of
course because there is much less tension involved.

I guess the thing that I don't like about inside playing is the
results.  The sound that is.  I don't care much for percussion
ensembles either but at least they bang and pound on things
according to plan.  Drummers will pound on anything and call it
music but they don't beat drums with "chisels" because that would
break the drum.  They don't misplay the instrument to get a
different sound, they go out and pound on things until they find
something that has the sound they want.  And that s why
percussion ensembles have a truck load of hardware when they
perform.

The trouble is composers hear this stuff and then try to imitate
the sound by getting it out of the piano.  When I hear Cage
pieces performed on prepared piano my opinion is it could have
been done on percussion instruments much easier and sound better
too.

The new electronic keyboards, computers, MIDI and all that stuff
have given composers and others as well a much better way of
trying new sounds and playing them on keyboards.  This has
probably helped save many acoustic piano from inside playing.
Of course the purist will come along who wants authentic pop
bottle dragging on the string sound or some such crap.

Last week-end we moved a hitter to Recital Hall for a composition
recital.  This happens to be a Steinway B.  I tuned it according
to the composers instructions.  Tune it as usual in equal
temperament at A440.  Then lower all the E's by 50 cents.

I did not go to the recital.

Phil Sloffer                  Indiana University School of Music
psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu                          Bloomington IN