Prepared Piano

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 17:12:36 -0500

I haven't seen the "prepared piano" cover but I'm assuming
that it is of a piano prepared by Lynn Macke for a class
at the NC State Conference.

I attended the class, which was the first I had ever
attended given by a non-technician performing pianist.
I was amazed by the overwhelmingly positive response from
the participants.  I my self was greatly moved by the
powerful expression and beauty of Lynn Macke's artistic
rendering of pieces for prepared piano and other non
traditional renderings such as "tone clusters" (playing
clusters of notes with the forearm).   Her  enlightening
historical background on the compositions opened our eyes
to  a  murky  subject,  and  showed  us  that  this
non-traditional use of the piano can be a valid and
powerful mode of expression.

Certainly there is no excuse for damage and/or undue wear
and tear resulting from inappropriate preparation
techniques.  If all pianists who prepared pianos were as
skilled and sensitive as Lynn Macke, the subject of
prepared piano would be less controversial than it is.

Lynn Macke's class was an unexpected High Point of the NC
State Conference.

David C. Stanwood