Bilson & temperaments

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Tue, 02 May 1995 12:23:09 -0400 (EDT)

> I beg to differ about the stability of Fortepianos and the value
> of tuning in historical temperaments.  Stability in my experience
> on these instruments is acheivable and the all the sublties of
> unequal temperaments are well worth the effort.
> Michael Wathen

Absolutely right!...There is no excuse now for tuning instability
with concert level fortepianos. A fine instrument should accept a
fine tuning and keep it (unless abused). There are enough
instruments available now to be able to compare their qualities and
pick out the bad apples...and there are a lot of these. 5, 6 and 6.5
octave size makes a difference too, but it shouldn't...it's just
harder to build a good 6.5 octave wood-framed piano than the smaller
ones. Moving and environment changes should have no more influence
than for harpsichords...probably less. An unstable fortepiano either
has something wrong with it's construction/design (or restoration if
antique) OR is being played anachronistically...i.e. too heavily OR
both.

BTW what were the four instruments you tuned (Philip) and which was
the one that you found more stable? Antiques or copies?

M. Bilson has (or will have soon) a Regier `Graf' of his own (Rod told
me a year ago he was making one for Malcolm). It probably isn't a
good argument to say tuning this instrument in e.t. affects an
otherwise (expensive!) authentic performance...there are many
factors anyway which make Regier `Grafs' unauthentic...these are
really `in the style of' than `copies'...he modifies and uses modern
materials in these instruments, and the design is not a Graf.

Of the fortepianos at Wilfrid Laurier U. (Waterloo) the little
Hubbard (Stein) kit-built instrument is remarkably stable. The Hood
Streicher 6.5 has good and bad days, but generally is acceptable.
This is tuned in a variety of different temperaments according to
requirements. I believe Malcolm's e.t. is really a kind of ad hoc
e.t. which is not too far from some tuning practices described for
the early 19th C., so there may be some historical basis for that
anyway.

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
308 Conservation Drive
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada