Damper buzz

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Wed, 17 May 1995 00:48:28 -0400

Thank you for your query, Mr. Sikora.

That damper file by Ruth Gordon that Newton Hunt mentioned sounds like a neat
tool.  I'll have to give it a try.  Mr. Hunt, who is Ruth Gordon, and where
may she be reached?

That idea from Phil Sloffer of "a small dental brush you can sometimes reach
in under the felt and ruff it up a bit and thereby stop the buzz" sounds like
a real possibility too.

Sometimes on flat dampers that are making that "zsssst" sound, I have run one
of my fingers across the face of the damper, thereby roughing it up and
voila'.  I even put a little saliva on my finger first.  Works like magic!
 If these simple methods don't work, then removing a slight layer of felt
from the offending damper can take care of the situation.  In other cases, I
have literally voiced the offending damper pad by needling into acceptable
performance.

Obviously, each situation is unique according to the degree of the offense
and the type of damper pad causing the problem.  And of course, when none of
the shortcuts are effective, then replacement is inevitable as Mr. Torrella
pointed out.

I for one, don't necessarily go out and buy a brand new tire for a car just
because I have a flat.  I have it fixed.  A blowout would be more in order,
or something to that effect before I would consider replacement.  Maybe in
some situations a short cut is all that is needed.

short-cut (noun)
1. A more direct route than the customary one.
2. A means of saving time or effort.
(The American heritage Dictionary - Standard Edition)

A long time colleague, Ben Bailey, RPT once told me "Don't fix what ain't
broke."  When he said this to me some ten odd years ago, I didn't agree with
him.  Now, sometimes, I actually find myself putting into practice this
quaint phrase.  Oh, how time can mellow the heart and change the course of
humanity.

And by chance you ever do come across that "magic potion" Mr. Sikora, please
do share.

Keith McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter