Copy of: Gluing & In-home regulating

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@compuserve.com
Mon, 22 May 1995 22:42:07 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: Bill Spurlock, RPT, 74077,3053
TO:   yenniet, INTERNET:yenniet@centmail.sw2.k12.wy.us
DATE: 5/22/95 7:33 PM

RE:   Copy of: Gluing & In-home regulating

> What does a person use for the singular flanges encountered in the field where
you don't >want to get out the glue pot.  I have been using Elmers wood glue (is
this a mistake?)

Thane:
In answer to your questions on glues for flange rebushing, I suggest that any
wood glue is suitable if properly used. Especially when gluing felt, the amount
of glue is very important. Flange bushings will work fine without being glued in
at all; however a light gluing makes them less likely to be pushed out when
pinning.

Renner flange bushing cloth is the only type I would ever use. It is extremely
dense, making for a very solid bushing. It has a nice strong "shoe lace" type
point on one end that's easy to pull through the parts without breaking off.
And, it is also pre-glued on the back side. To rebush, just pull it through the
part, leaving about 1/2" of the end exposed. Then apply a light coating of
moisture (read: spit) to the back side--enough to wet the surface but not enough
to soak through. Then pull the wet portion into the part, and insert the correct
size centerpin for clamping while it dries for 10 minutes under a lamp. The
moisture activates the existing glue coating on the cloth; no additional glue is
required.

A certain percentage of the time when pinning, the pin will catch the bushing on
the far side and push it out. To avoid this, insert a smaller pin through the
bushings and birdseye to act as a pilot. This small pin is easily (and safely)
inserted by hand, and holds the parts in alignment. The actual pin is then
pressed into place, pushing the pilot on out the other side as it goes with no
chance of catching the bushing.

>What is acceptable for the tech. exam?
The type of glue you use is not scored, only the end result (neatness, trimming
of cloth, firmness, flange friction, etc.). If you use white or yellow wood glue
instead of the pre-glued Renner cloth, be sure to use only a trace so there's no
chance it will contaminate the inside of the bushing or the sides of the shank
fork. For step-by-step instructions on this and other field repair jobs, see the
PTG Technical exam source book, and the new PTG book, PACE Technical Lessons
1-7.

Bill Spurlock