Oxidized keyleads

Paul Kupelian kupelian@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Tue, 30 May 1995 11:35:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 May 1995, David Porritt wrote:

> I picked up a set of keys yesterday that had grosly expanded key leads due
> to oxidation.  Several of the keys have split due to the increased size of
> the leads.  I'm going to remove them and replace them with new leads.
>
> I've never seen leads expand this far before.  They are all under
> excessive pressure.  Does anyone have a favorite methood of removing leads
> this tight without putting additional pressure on the keys.  I don't want
> to split any more keys due to this proceedure.
>
> Dave Porritt, RPT
> SMU - Dallas
>
> "No matter what side of an argument you are on, you'll always
> find people on your side that you wish were on the other side."
>                            -Jasscha Heifetz

Dave,
I don't know how to solve this problem, but I would like to caution you
about handling lead in this condition.  As a former pipe organ
technician, I can tell you from experience in handling lead organ pipes,
that this is can lead to serious problems if not handled properly.

If the lead has become oxidized and looks powdery, it has become somewhat
more hazardous to handle.  Use common sense and safety precautions when
handling keys that have this condition.

Good luck.
kupelian@oswego.edu