Broadwood Grand - A435?

John Baird 71023.2217@compuserve.com
Fri, 03 Nov 1995 13:24:40 -0500 (EST)

This morning I inspected an 1884 John Broadwood & Sons Drawing Room
Grand.  This is the first time a piano technician has looked at it since
it was shipped from London to the U.S. 20 years ago and stored in a
warehouse (dry, but not climate controlled).  It's straight-strung, 85
notes, rectangular tuning pins patented as "Pin-Piece Screw Pins" (tps
threaded into metal & wood), 8' 2" in length.  It appears to be in 'good'
condition, but it was on its side.

Question 1:  To what pitch was it designed to be tuned?

Question 2:  How to determine its value?  I briefly checked the Early
Music and Instruments homepage, but it is currently being moved to
another server, and I don't even know if this is the right place to look.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Baird